In the communities where it operates, Klabin provides more than job opportunities. It prepares people to be better professionals and citizens, offering access to health care, social assistance, culture and technical and environmental education.
Klabin and the community
Klabin believes that the community knows and is able to indicate the best ways, finding innovative solutions in a participative manner and also generating job opportunities and income.
Klabin runs a number of environmental education projects addressed to teachers and students in the communities where it operates in order to disseminate concepts related to ecological awareness.
Since 2001, it has benefitted over 245 thousand students, 9,489 teacher and 771 schools in Parana and Santa Catarina states. The initiative brings together specialists to prepare teachers to disseminate concepts that raise ecological awareness and also to contribute to the education of more critical citizens, conscious of their responsibilities towards the environment.
The program encourages respect for people and the environment, in addition to social development and citizenship exercise. Students from grade schools receive theoretical and practical training on nature preservation, environmental legislation, aspects of the local fauna and flora, first aid, civism, moral principles and ethics.
Junior Green Force
Pioneer in the education of junior environmental agents, the program is run with the Environmental Military Police of Parana. Students receive theoretical and practical training on nature preservation, environmental legislation, aspects of local fauna and flora, first aid, civism, moral principles and ethics.
Lectures on themes that involve environmental issues, health care, family management, life quality, professional growth and many others. In 2011, the program was chosen by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) as one of the five success cases worldwide, and the only one in Brazil, about relationship and cooperation between companies with FSC® certified planted forests and local communities.
Environmental education project aiming to raise awareness of regional environmental problems in Tibagi region and to encourage the search for alternative solutions.Close
Social-educational and cultural programs that complement formal education with the main objective of contributing to creating values for children and teenagers.
Klabin´s Singing Girls
Made up of girls between 7 and 17 years old, daughters of employees from Monte Alegre Plant (PR) and youngsters from the community. The project provides the study of music theory, rhythm and vocal techniques, in addition to developing companionship. Participants have already had the opportunity to sing in many cities in the states of Parana, Sao Paulo and Santa Catarina to over 12 thousand people.
Founded in 2008, in conjunction with Studio 3 Cia. de Dança, Klabin’s Right Step Program consists of Contemporary Dance and Capoeira activities, for children and teenagers, employees’ children, between 6 and 17 years old, mainly targeted to artistic expression and appreciation for Culture and Education.
Everybody in the safety route: started in 2013, it seeks to spread the culture of safety in the neighborhoods around the Monte Alegre Airport, in Telemaco Borba (PR). Students, between 7 and 10 years, are taught to disseminate information about safety to their families, neighbors and other people in the community so that they can behave properly, avoid crossing in the airport area and respecting the public property.
Our Digital Language
Uses new information and communication technology in education initiatives for youngsters between 13 and 18 years old, children of employees and community youngsters in Telemaco Borba (PR). Its main purpose is to improve oral and written communication on topics like Identity, Sexuality, Environment, Citizenship, Drug Abuse and others.Close
By donating funds and materials, Klabin collaborates with different entities in the region where it operates, like orphanages, asylums, hospitals, common interest associations, military and civil police and the fire brigade.
Warm Clothing Campaign
Annual donation of corrugated packagings for the Warm Clothing Campaign, of the State of Sao Paulo. The action benefits around three thousand entities.
Association of Parents and Friends of the Exceptional (Apae)
Financial support or donation of material for handicraft.
Financial support to the Children Pastoral that promotes the complete development of the children, from pregnancy up to six years of age.
Ongoing donation of paper to schools from local government networks and entities and association in Otacilio Costa, Correia Pinto and Itajai (SC) cities and Telemaco Borba (PR) region.Fechar
Klabin encourages and applauds the practice of volunteer work among its employees, since these activities help to build citizenship and stronger moral values.
Klabin’s non-profit Terra Viva Associaçao de Voluntarios was created in 2003 and since then it has organized and promoted citizenship and solidarity actions supported by employees and their families. Projects can be spot campaigns like collecting warm clothing, food, milk and blood donation as well as other actions related to commemorations or to education like guidance on how to find the first job and technical and creative instruction like guitar, language and IT courses. The public who can benefit is diverse: children and youth at social risk or with special needs and the elderly.
The association has approximately 300 volunteers in most of its plants, and benefits about 12 thousand people in over 50 organizations attended. Its support to this initiative shows that Klabin encourages and recognizes volunteer work among its employees to better the quality of life in the communities where it is present.
Click here and see the Manual of Terra Viva Volunteer Association.Close
Klabin keeps some programs with the purpose of promoting the economic development of the communities around its plants. One of the main efforts towards reaching this target is the creation of the Agency for the Development of the Wood Chain of Tibagi River, in 2011.
The agency promotes incentives to the production chain, attracting other companies to Telemaco Borba region, encouraging the formation of industrial districts and generation of workforce and income to local populations.Fechar
Donation to FIA
Every year, Klabin allocates part of its deductible taxes for donations to Fundos Municipais dos Direitos da Infância e Adolescência (City Funds for Child and Teenager Rights). Since 2010, over R$ 3,2 million have been donated to at least 54 social projects carried out in municipalities where the company operates its plants.Fechar
It joins economic, social and environmental development by promoting planting of pine and eucalyptus trees in idle areas in rural properties. In addition to seedlings, Klabin provides the necessary guidance for the correct management of the land. Over 184 million seedlings have been supplied and 115 thousand hectares have been planted. The process helps to keep the population in the rural areas, promotes recuperation of the vegetation and fosters regional development.
Small Producer Certification
Klabin provides support to rural producers situated along the middle Tibagi River in the Telêmaco Borba region of the state of Paraná to help them obtain Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) certification, which recognizes best forestry management practices. Through conservation, environmental education and forestry development actions, the project works to adapt the properties and operations to enable producers to attain certification and sell wood with higher value added, which benefits the entire production chain.
This is yet another initiative that demonstrates Klabin's pioneering initiatives in its constant pursuit of sustainable development.Close
The owner prepares the soil and looks after the crop. Klabin offers technical assistance and does the planning, first time ant combating, planting and one replanting if 5% or more seedlings do not survive. Payment is made when part of the first harvested wood is delivered to Klabin’s mill wood yard.
Sale of seedlings
The owner prepares the soil and looks after the crop. Klabin sells the seedlings and the ant-killer, transports the seedlings and provides free technical assistance. The value is converted into tons of wood and paid for with part of the first cut.
Donation of Seedlings
Addressed to farmers with a maximum area of 50 hectares, who obtain income exclusively from the property. Maximum donation is of 20,000 seedlings or 30% of the property. Farmers are not committed to sell to Klabin.
Legal Woods Program
Developed with Apremavi - Associaçao de Preservaçao do Meio Ambiente e da Vida, it promotes actions toward land use planning, conservation, environmental education and forest incentives in the states of Parana and Santa Catarina. It provides guidance to small and medium-size landowners so they can work more efficiently and increase profitability in addition to preserving the ecosystems. Farmers take part in courses, community self-help projects, lectures and exchange visits and are given free seedlings of native plants. The program also encourages silviculture with planted forests, both pine and eucalyptus, and with native species as well as the enrichment of secondary forests, organic farming and ecotourism.Close
Created in 1984, Klabin’s Phytotherapy Program seeks the sustainable use of biodiversity, combining environmental preservation and social responsibility.
The project is based on the use of species in the native woodlands to make phytotherapic products especially designed for employees. The program was the first worldwide, related to the management of non-wood forest products, to be certified by the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC ®) in 1999
Apicultura and Meliponicultura
Klabin offers its forests to lend impetus to production chains that bring benefits to the communities, mainly by generating complementary income, and to the environment.
The initiative, developed in conjunction with the Beekeepers’ Association of Telemaco Borba and the Cooperative Caminhos do Tibagi, runs a processing unit that prepares and distributes honey and honey products according to legal requirements and market demands.
Klabin strives to play an active role in social, environmental and economic issues by voluntarily undertaking commitments proposed by renowned institutions.
Corporate Sustainability Index (ISE)
Created in December 2005 by the Brazilian Stock Exchange (BM&FBovespa), the ISE evaluates the various sustainability aspects of listed companies on an integrated basis.The index's goal is to foster good practices in Brazil's business community.The selection of companies to compose the index is based on criteria developed by the School of Economics and Business Administration (EAESP) of the Getúlio Vargas Foundation (FGV).Klabin has been a component of the ISE since 2013.
The millennium goals were established by the United Nations (UN) in 2000, with the support of 191 nations, and became known as the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).The MDGs are a universal commitment to eradicate poverty and promote the sustainability of the planet that was translated into eight objectives – the 8 Millennium Goals.Since 2013, Klabin has been a part of the group of companies working to guarantee the achievement of these goals.
1) Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger;
2) Achieve universal primary education;
3) Promote gender equality and empower women;
4) Reduce child mortality;
5) Improve maternal health;
6) Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases;
7) Ensure environmental sustainability; and
8) Develop a global partnership for development.
Aware of the role it plays in mobilizing society to build a fairer and more sustainable country, Klabin has been a signatory to the Global Compact since 2003.
Developed by the United Nations (UN), the initiative, which already includes 5,200 organizations around the world, works to mobilize the international business community to adopt fundamental values in their business practices in the areas of human rights, labor relations, the environment and combatting corruption.Close
Empresas Pelo Clima (EPC)
Since 2013, Klabin participates in this permanent business platform that works to mobilize, raise awareness and coordinate business leaders to manage and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, manage climate risks and propose public policies and positive incentives to combat climate change.Close
The goals of the Local Development and Large Enterprise Initiative (ID Local) is to work together with the private sector to reflect on, exchange experiences and formulate business proposals and guidelines that promote local development.It encourages the discussion, analysis, coordination and co-development of proposals, methodologies and instruments for local management.All these efforts aim to ensure that local development figures prominently in the business strategies of the companies responsible for investments in large projects in underprivileged areas. Klabin has been a part of this initiative since 2013.Close
Klabin has been involved in this program since 2013, which works to encourage the corporate community to develop and publish inventories of their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by giving them access to world class instruments and standards. Originally developed in 1998 in the United States by the World Resources Institute (WRI), the GHG Protocol is a tool used to understand, quantify and manage GHG emissions.Close
Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)
Since 2006, Klabin has been involved in this initiative to facilitate dialogue between investors and companies seeking to mitigate the environmental impacts of their activities in light of climate change.Close
Brazilian Pact to Eradicate Slave Labor
In 2013, Klabin signed the Brazilian Pact to Eradicate Slave Labor, which brings together Brazilian and multinational companies that have undertaken commitments to not do business with companies engaged in slave labor practices.The Pact is managed through the Coordination and Monitoring Committee, which is formed by the Ethos Institute, the Social Observatory Institute (IOS), the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the NGO Repórter Brasil.
Click here to download a summary of the Brazilian Pact to Eradicate Slave Labor.Close
The Forests Dialogue is a pioneering and independent initiative that facilitates interaction among representatives of the forest industry companies, environmental organizations and social movements to build a vision and commitment for both. For this, it promotes effective measures associated with forest production and expands the scale of efforts aimed at conserving and restoring the environment, thereby generating benefits for stakeholders of the Dialogue and for society in general. Klabin has been a member of the Brazilian Forests Dialogue since 2009 as member of the Coordination Council, which consists of representatives from five companies and five civil society organizations.
Read the Klabin success story: Landscape Planning - The case of Telêmaco Borba region.
Click here to read Klabin’s success case “Landscape Planning – The case of the Telêmaco Borba region” in the special publication to mark 10 years of the initiative (available only in Portuguese).Fechar
Business Pact for Integrity and Against Corruption
The Pact was launched in June 2006 by initiative of the Ethos Institute of Business and Social Responsibility, UniEthos – Training and Developing Socially Responsible Management, Patri Governmental Relations & Public Policies, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and the Global Compact Brazilian Committee.The main commitments expressed in the text are:Information on legislation;Disclosure, instructions and answers on the main legal principles applicable to their activities;Prohibition of bribery;Transparent and lawful contributions to political campaigns;Dissemination of the Pact's principles among its stakeholders;Open and transparent investigations;and Working together with the production chain.Klabin has been a signatory to the Pact since 2013.Close
Friend of the Children Seal
The Abrinq Foundation for Children's Rights uses the Friend of the Children Seal to recognize organizations that defend children's rights. The seal attests that, among other actions, the company does not exploit child labor and does not permit such practices in their production chain and that it carries out social actions to foster education and learning for children and youth in local communities.
PARTNERSHIPS WITH BNDES
In partnership with BNDES, Klabin participates in social projects focused on the infrastructure and development of communities where it operates, through donation of equipment, repairs to structures and other projects.?
• Structuring of Emergency Care Units: acquisition of equipment (x-ray, defibrillators, respirators, monitors) and furniture.
• Construction of the Municipal Social Training Center to provide vocational and technical courses to the public.
• Cultural Center: construction of an auditorium for 350 people and space for cultural and educational workshops.
• Construction of an elementary school: six classrooms, administrative office, library, computer laboratory, cafeteria, kitchen, bathrooms and activity room.
• Construction of two new classrooms and an administrative room at the school in the district of Natingui.
• Construction of two new classrooms to expand the school in Vila Gomes.
• Renovation of the leisure area around the Litinho Gymnasium including a common area, children's park, open-air gym, skate park and lighting.
• Residential construction (4 towers, 96 apartments) to house the future employees of the pulp mill.
• Construction and renovation of the Social and Education Afterschool Center, a space that offers after-school activities, expanding the current capacity from 100 to 150 children and including:
- Construction of 5 multiple-use classrooms;
- Expansion and renovation of the cafeteria and kitchen;
- Renovation, roofing and lighting of the multipurpose court;
- Construction of accessibility ramps;
• Construction of a Civic Square, featuring a leisure area, space for sports, skate park, children's park, exhibition space and lighting.
• Hiring of a consulting firm specializing in Urban Planning to support the local government in revising the city’s Master Plan, in accordance with the Municipal Statute.
• Construction of a regional sports and recreational complex (City Park), including the donation of a 26-hectare area, including a walking path, bike lanes, courts, children's park, administrative area and executive project for a multipurpose arena.
• Construction and renovation of the Social and Education Afterschool Center: space that offers after-school activities, expanding the current capacity from 155 to 255 children, including:
- Construction of 2 classrooms;
- Expansion and renovation of the cafeteria and kitchen;
- Renovation and roofing of the multipurpose court;
- Construction of accessibility ramps;
- Renovation of 2 multipurpose rooms and storage room.
Ortigueira, Imbaú and Telêmaco Borba
• Hiring of the consulting services of Micro and Small Company Support Service (Sebrae) to provide technical and economic support and training to potential small and medium businesses.
• Engagement of the NGO Childhood to strengthen the child protection network, including raising awareness on the sexual abuse of children, preparation of a diagnosis of the region, training of representatives of the three cities on the Rights Guarantee System.
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) training on the emergency treatment of critical patients (heart attack, stroke, etc.) to emergency response personnel and physicians from Imbaú.
• Social Forest – Social and Economic Strengthening of Small and Medium Rural Producers: consulting services for obtaining the Rural Environmental Registration (CAR), environmental compliance, incentives for diversifying production to increase income generation, incentives for associations/cooperatives to add value and facilitate distribution.
Consórcio Caminhos do Tibagi
• Adaptation of the cities to the National Solid Waste Policy, including specialized consulting services to diagnose solid waste generation, final disposal, recycling, environmental education and landfill project. Project conducted in partnership with the seven municipalities that are members of the Caminhos do Tibagi Consortium: Ortigueira, Imbaú, Telêmaco Borba, Reserva, Tamarana, Tibagi and Ventania.
• Ônibus do Bem: adapted vehicle to transport children and teenagers served by the Raio de Sol School for Exceptional Children – APAE in Lages, Santa Catarina;
• Adapted vehicle for the mobile intensive care unit used by the Municipal Hospital Foundation of Correia Pinto – Hospital Faustino Riscarolli, Santa Catarina.